Sunday, January 30, 2011

ARRRRR - Buried Treasure!

I know - I've posted enough about our rainbows and R themed activities... but this is a record for me... a way to reflect and see the growth in the lives of my children, husband and self. I'm just letting you in there if you want to - to hang around in my deeply pensive mind. Give me an alphabet letter and man, I'll go deep.

So my son is not very big on "crafty" type activities. Things other kids dig like paint and glue, he'd gladly pass up to play David and Goliath for the ninety-fifth time. He'd enthusiastically shove away the paper and stickers to get onto crushing egg shells in the mortal and pestle or filling his socks with rubber balls so he can have his very own slingshot. I'm rearing a man and I pray I am always sensitive to the fact that he may have to kill an animal someday to survive or bash through a window to rescue someone.

With that being said... I saw a super cute rainbow activity - one in which a cardboard letter R is horizontally glued with stripes of red, orange, yellow, and so on. And every one I saw was so rainbowy! Each color in it's place... all the lines were straight. And all this got me thinking... I suppose one of the greatest parts of homeschooling is tailoring your plans to the strengths and weaknesses of your child. To mold the character according to God's Word and not just my expectations. So Gavin doesn't have to sit in a class of other 3 and 4 year olds and be told how and where his strips of paper need to go. I can target his weaknesses - issues of control and patience and allow for him to produce something that he is fully invested in yet still within the guidelines of my rule.

So this was the result... A rainbow covered R ... Complete with torn edges and pieces he had to cut apart to fit his plan.




But my favorite part is the hidden pieces. He wanted to build his rainbow vertically "to let the colors reach toward you", he said. So under one layer of color, are many others. Cool - right!
I wouldn't probably see this example hung up in the traditional classroom... perhaps in government preschool art rules are already being established. But in our home - this one was hung up high.





And by the way... I have a new late night addiction. It is not what you may think.... no sugar involved. I can't stop making hair bows. They are small and quick. They are cheap and resourceful... and oh so stinking cute when pulling back Ivy's bangs. I may just have to give everyone some hair bows along with the rice for the upcoming birthdays! Here are a just a few of my latest clippies.




I love what I am so blessed to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment